A Supported Life’s Rock Band- The Mutes (from mars)
A Supported Life created from its midst a unique rock / pop band with six members with learning disabilities, ranging from Aspergers (ASD) to Down Syndrome. This band, The Mutes (from mars) is the only mixed ability band in New Zealand and has the aim of not only playing brilliant music but through a combination of musicianship and enthusiasm, want to break down barriers through music and performance and challenge people’s perceptions of disability. The musicians write and perform their own material as well as playing much loved covers.
The amazing adventures of the Mutes (from mars) include:
- Opening 2015 New Zealand Music Month on TV One’s Seven Sharp program with a piece on the band’s rehearsing and playing a gig in a pub in Grey Lynn.
- Opening the Attitude Awards gala event in 2014 which was followed by their being featured on the TV documentary on the awards.
- Playing the Rock’n Roll Whangamata Beach Hop 2014.
- Performing live and being interviewed on radio station BFM.
- Being joined in rehearsal by NZ musical icon Don McGlashen.
- Touring and playing twice with Australian mixed ability band Rudely Interrupted.
- Headlining the two day Interact Festival in 2015 and 2016.
- Creating and promoting the Idea’s Got Great Talent performance concert in centres in the upper North Island 2012 for the IHC.
- Creating and facilitating the Breaking Down the Barriers program of performance and music workshops in high schools which featured dancers from the professional troupe Touch Compass.
- Having two documentaries filmed on the band by Attitude Films and shown on TV One.
- Recording and releasing first original CD ‘Just Us’ in 2013 and their follow up EP in 2017- ‘Martion Fuhtre’.
The band is available for gigs and can be contacted at email@example.com, their website www.mutes.co.nz. Catch up with them on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/The-Mutes-from-mars-254181314659019/.